This recipe is in The Cape Malay Cookbook by Fadela Williams and slightly adapted, if you in South Africa her books can be found in any local book shop.
* 500 gram lamb, diced
* 2 onions, finely chopped
* 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, cubed
* 4 fresh tomatoes, finely chopped or 1 tin (400 gram) tomatoes
* 1 large garlic clove, crushed
* 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh ginger, grated
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground coriander
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) turmeric
* 3 cinnamon quills
* 3 cardamom pods
* 4 whole cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (you can increase it to 1-2 teaspoon(s) if you prefer it hot)
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
* ½ cup (125 ml) water
* Frying oil
* Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
1. Combine meat and spices in a bowl and set aside.
2. Sauté the onions in a medium saucepan until it start to brown, taking care not to burn it.
3. Add meat, tomato, sugar and water, stir through and simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat.
4. Add the cubed potato and simmer until the potatoes are soft. Add more water if necessary.
5. Serve on white rice.